Posted by Guest Blogger on August 20, 2013
Food on a stick? There’s just something fantastic about it.
Campfire marshmallows and hot dogs. Crazy deep-fried creations at the state fair. Even fancy hors d’oeuvres often come with those cute little cocktail picks. From whimsical to sophisticated, finger foods tend to break us out of our routines – and that brings a little more bliss to every bite.
So today we’re planing with our food and making a dessert that really “sticks” out. (Get it? Ok, I’ll stop now.)
Seriously, dessert kabobs create a “wow” factor for backyard grilling and entertaining, and they are a hit with kids and adults alike. Plus, no extra utensils or bowls = easy clean-up!
This version features luscious cubes of our Absolutely Almond Pound Cake Mix™ , marshmallows and juicy grilled peaches. Add a warm drizzle of our Creamy Caramel Sauce, and if you like, sprinkle on a few chopped walnuts for a subtle crunch. It’s the perfect skewer of summer flavors, and honestly – it couldn’t be more fun.
P.S. There’s a fabulous recipe in the recipes area for Fruit & Brownie Kabobs, too … be sure to check it out!
Grilled Peach and Pound Cake Kabobs
- 6-7 fresh firm peaches, pitted
- 4 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 bag large marshmallows
- 4 Tbsp. chopped walnuts (optional)
Tips and Hints
- Choose firm peaches and make sure you cut them generously; if they’re too ripe and sliced too thinly, they won’t hold up as well to grilling.
- For easy slicing and quick assembly, bake your pound cake the day or evening before.
- Instead of grilling, you could also thread your cake cubes, fresh peaches and marshmallows onto roasting sticks. Toast the whole skewer over a campfire.
- Don’t want to deal with skewers at all? Just toss your cake cubes and grilled peaches into bows for mini trifles. Add a dollop of whipped cream, and top with caramel sauce and walnuts.