Posted by Jane N on February 5, 2015
Truth: I grew up on carbs. Lots and lots of carbs – my grandma made donuts fried in lard, there were breads and buns and waffles (oh my), white rice, white potatoes and white almond bark candy. Not to mention corn syrup, corn flakes and canned creamed corn. Yum. I was in love with my high-carb, low-protein, high-sugar diet. I bucked the low-carb trend for longer than I should have, as evidenced by the size of my caboose. But here we are in 2015. And I have come to discover there are LOTS of ways to make delicious snacks and meals that are low in carbs but high in taste!
New Truth: I actually love roasted cauliflower, lettuce wraps and crustless quiche. I don’t even have to “try” to like them. They’re just good food that happens to be lower in carbs. Yay! So this weekend, give our Turkey Cucumber Roll Ups a try. They make a fantastic snack and you won’t miss the tortilla!
Turkey Cucumber Roll Ups
- 4 ounces light cream cheese
- 2 cucumbers
- ¼ pound deli turkey
- ½ cup shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
Tips and Hints
- I like to use English cucumbers if I can get them. They have tiny seeds and don’t usually get mushy inside.
- If you’re like me, you may think that MORE Sweet Pepper Jalapeño Jam is better. Generally, that’s true. In this case, however, more makes the cream cheese too liquidy and the turkey rolls turn to soup.
- These are best eaten pronto. They do not hold up well in the fridge. They make a superb snack when you want something to eat right now.