Posted by Jen T on June 14, 2022
Kabobs. Kebabs. Skewers.
Whatever you call them, there’s just something fun about food on a stick. From street fairs to summertime BBQs in the backyard, these delicious finger foods can be stacked up all kinds of different ways, too. It’s so easy to mix, match and make your own favorite combinations!
Plus, kabobs can be a surprisingly sneaky way to get your kids to eat more veggies. (Why do grilled vegetables taste better on a skewer? I truly don’t know, but I’m sticking with it at our house – pun intended.)
From dinner to dessert, check out some of our fresh picks for summertime – perfect for your next get-together or gathering around the table!
11 Simple Summer Skewers
1. Tortellini Skewers with Marinara. Get the (patio) party started with these savory little skewers, stacked with spicy pepperoni, cheese tortellini and fresh mozzarella. You can even make them a few hours in advance and just pop ‘em in the fridge for grab-and-go apps.
Great for afternoon snacks for the kids this summer, too!
2. Balsamic Basil Appetizer Kabobs. For extra color and crunch, try these fresh, bite-sized skewers with grape tomatoes, cucumbers, mozzarella and Genoa salami – all lightly drizzled with delicious dipping oil. They pack beautifully for summer picnics and potlucks!
3. Honey Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs. Juicy pineapple. Tender teriyaki chicken. Sweet red onions. Perfect for backyard BBQs, these simple skewers are one of our family’s all-time favorites.
Serve ‛em with brown or long-grain rice and a variety of fresh fruit.
4. Pesto Grilled Veggie Kabobs. You won’t even miss the meat! Filled with a bounty of fresh veggies, these perfectly pesto-seasoned kabobs are a wonderfully flavorful option for healthy, balanced lifestyles.
Keep ‛em vegetarian, or pair them with lean protein on the side, such as grilled chicken breasts or pork tenderloin.
5. Sí Sí Cilantro Chicken Kabobs. With hints of zesty lime, bright cilantro and spicy jalapeño, these easy grilled kabobs bring together the best flavors of summertime with tender chicken, grilled zucchini and button mushrooms. So light, fresh and breezy!
6. Balsamic Sirloin Skewers. Love grilled steak? Try these hearty sirloin and mushroom skewers, marinated with sweet-tangy balsamic, whole grain mustard and a touch of honey.
Stack ‛em with red onions and small tomatoes, or substitute your other favorite garden-fresh veggies. Bell peppers or zucchini would be delicious, too!
7. Mediterranean Chicken Kabobs. Go Greek with these savory chicken kabobs with onions, peppers and fresh tzatziki sauce. Perfect paired with pita bread and crumbled feta!
8. Citrus Raspberry Shrimp. Fast, fresh and fruity, these succulent grilled shrimp are drizzled with a tangy fusion of fresh berries, honey and mustard. Plus, they come together from start to finish in 20 minutes flat.
Serve them as an entrée with rice and pea pods, or make mini skewers as a show-stopping appetizer.
9. Smoky BBQ Chicken Skewers. This weekend we made these sweet and savory kabobs for the first time, skewered with bacon-wrapped chicken, fresh pineapple and sweet bell peppers. SO good, and our kids loved them, too!
Be sure to wait until the last two minutes of cooking to brush on your BBQ sauce, so it doesn’t burn. (By the way, that’s always a good idea with BBQ and teriyaki sauces, due to the higher sugar content.)
10. S’more Brownie Skewers. Rainy day? Make this modern spin on a classic campfire favorite! These blissful brownie bites are stacked with sweet marshmallows, dipped in milk chocolate and rolled in crushed graham crackers.
Tip: If you have a culinary torch, you can carefully toast the top of your marshmallows before serving, too.
11. Fruit & Brownie Kabobs. For a taste of chocolate paradise, simply alternate decadent brownie chunks with sliced bananas, strawberries and pineapple on bamboo skewers. Swirl with warm, buttery caramel sauce before serving. Voila!
Remember, you can find more than 60 skewer recipes on Tastefully Simple’s website, too. Come on over, and check them out this summer … you’ll find all kinds of delicious reasons to “stick around!”
Happy grilling, friends!