Posted by Tastefully Simple on March 15, 2023
We all know that salads are a healthy choice, yet it’s hard to give up the flavors and satisfaction of our favorite meals. Let’s face it: given the choice between a salad and a bacon cheeseburger, most of us will probably choose the burger. There’s a new trend tossing up the salad game, though: favorite dishes in salad form!
Why jump on the salad upgrade bandwagon? It’s a great way to enjoy the flavors and nutrition of your favorite dishes in a healthier and lighter way. Here are some tips for converting meals into salads:
- Start at the Bottom: The foundation of your salad can be fresh greens or other vegetables, such as arugula, spinach, kale, or mixed greens. Choose a variety of textures and colors to make your salad more interesting.
- Pick your Protein: Add your favorite source of protein, such as grilled chicken, steak, tofu, chickpeas, or beans. Got leftovers? Chop and toss burgers, leftover ham or hard-boiled eggs into the salad bowl. Make sure your protein is cooked and seasoned to your liking.
- Fill in the Flavors: Think about the tastes of your favorite meals and work them into your salad. For example, if you love Mexican food, add black beans, corn, avocado, and salsa to your salad. If you love Italian food, add roasted tomatoes, basil, mozzarella cheese and even cold pasta.
- Top It Off: Add some crunch and texture to your salad with toppings like croutons, nuts, seeds, or crispy vegetables like carrots, cucumber or bell pepper.
- Dress It Up: Choose a dressing that complements the flavors in your salad. To cut calories, choose a vinaigrette instead of a creamy dressing.
Tip: It’s surprisingly easy to create your own, customized vinaigrettes. Mix your favorite oil, like Avocado Oil or Roasted Garlic Infused Oil with an equal amount of vinegar (Aged Balsamic Vinegar of Modena is a good choice), then add any of Tastefully Simple’s carefully seasonings to taste. Examples:
- Avocado Oil + Aged Balsamic Vinegar of Modena + Citrus Herb Seasoning
- Roasted Garlic Infused Oil + Aged Balsamic Vinegar of Modena + Spinach & Herb Seasoning
- Avocado Oil + Aged Balsamic Vinegar of Modena + Dill Pickle Dip Mix
- Extra virgin olive oil + lime juice + honey + Sí Sí Cilantro™ Seasoning
Creamier dressings can also be homemade and customized. Try these:
Ready to try a meal-to-salad makeover? Here are some ideas: